Calphalon AccuCore Pans & Pre-Seasoned Griddles
If you’re someone who is serious about cooking healthy, delicious meals at home as part of a lifelong commitment to healthy living, investing in the appropriate cookware is vital. Some of you have probably balked at how expensive some cookware can get but here, I’m sharing with you a couple of my all time favorite pans and griddles that are everyday staples in my home kitchen and are at very reasonable prices, especially when you look at these purchases as lifetime investments.
High quality pans and griddles when properly used and cared for, can very well last an entire lifetime, if not longer.
I’ve been a lifelong fan of Calphalon cookware but lately, I’ve been specifically using their Accucore Pans and Pre-Seasoned Griddles.
What makes the Accucore Pans at the top of my favorites list for cookware? Calphalon’s self description is spot on:
- Exceptionally even heating ensures optimum cooking performance. Calphalon AccuCore Stainless Steel cookware is made from 5 individual metal layers with a responsive copper core that heats – and cools – evenly to help maintain a more consistent temperature across the entire pan. Two inner layers of aluminum also efficiently conduct heat, while stainless steel outer layers create a beautiful, durable surface that is dishwasher safe. Stainless steel is an exceptionally versatile cooking surface, and is the best choice for high-temperature techniques such as searing and deglazing. Designed with a flat, heavy bottom and long, stay-cool handle, the 12″ Omelette Pan easily handles high-temperature techniques and offers maximum cooking space. Low sides provide easy access when braising or searing foods. The even-heating stainless steel surface is ideal for: Pan-seared scallops or steak, Sauteed chicken or vegetables, Deglazed sauces
- Dishwasher safe.
- Five layers with copper core for controlled, even heating.
- Full Lifetime Warranty.
- Induction capable.
- Long handles stay cool on the stovetop.
- Oven & broiler safe.
I have read a couple of the reviews online from people complaining about how all their food stuck to the Accucore pans and I really have to clarify this point. These Accucore pans are one of the very best line of home cookware pans on the market but you have to have certain basic techniques in the first place. These are not non-stick pans the likes of which most novice home cooks prefer. The perfect example is when cooking salmon with skin-on, one of my at-home specialties.
When using the Accucore pans, you want to make sure to pre-heat the pan to at least a solid medium to medium high heat before drizzling in olive oil (or whatever oil you prefer) and then placing the salmon skin-side down. Unlike with non-stick pans, you cannot simply jiggle the salmon and expect it to freely slide around. You have to have patience and allow the pan and cooking process to do its thing. Rule of thumb for cooking salmon is 10 minutes for every inch of thickness so if you like that beautiful, crispy skin like I do, leave that salmon skin-side down alone for about 6 to 7 minutes before sliding a spatula gently under it and turning over for the remaining 3 to 4 minutes, flesh-side down.
If you follow these techniques, the Accucore pan will “release” the salmon skin when it’s completely cooked. You’ll end up with a perfectly cooked salmon with delicious, crispy skin.
These Accucore pans are also amazing for deglazing- making sauces after you’ve pan seared or pan fried any fish, meats or poultry. This is one of the best parts that you will never be able to achieve with non-stick pans. You’ll get those delicious morsels of garlic and herb bits and you can simply add a touch of butter or olive oil with some stock or wine, to create a lovely sauce for your fish, meat or poultry a la restaurant style.
Given that the Accucore pans are also oven safe, creating restaurant style steaks is a breeze, going from pan-searing to seal in those juices to oven to finish cooking to your preferred medium rare, medium or well done.
A lifetime warranty from Calphalon also adds huge reassurance that the company stands behind this product.
For those of you who love in-door grilling, the Calphalon line of Pre-Seasoned griddles is an excellent choice. These are solid, cast iron griddles perfect for traditional and slow cooking techniques.
- Calphalon Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron cookware is designed to heat evenly and steadily, holding heat so foods stay warm while serving. Pans feature a pre-seasoned cooking surface to help prevent sticking, and oversized handles for easy and secure lifting. Calphalon Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron cookware is versatile, and can be used on gas, electric and even induction stovetops, as well as in the oven and broiler.
- Full lifetime warranty
- Holds heat for traditional & slow cooking
- Oven & broiler safe
- Oversized handles for easy lifting
- Pre-seasoned cooking surface resists sticking.
If you long for those grill marks on your steak or chicken but you don’t want to fire up the real grill outside, these griddles are the perfect solution. You can also grill a variety of vegetables for a healthy, beautiful medley, seasoned with a little olive oil, salt and pepper and you’ve got the ideal meal.
If you’ve never cooked with cast iron before, be aware that these are heavy pieces of cookware so these are not suitable for those with hand/arm mobility issues. The griddles are super easy to clean in regards to everything slipping right off with a quick sponging sans soap.
These Calphalon pans and griddles range from just under US $30 to around US $170, every one of them worth every dollar for a lifetime investment in healthy, easy home cooking.